The future all-new construction design is the best combination of cost-effectiveness, educational design, and construction timeline. With minimal anticipated disruption to the school (modular classrooms will not be needed), the first building is estimated to open to students in January 2022.
- traditional exterior look and feel
- central spine with four distinct wings
- fully accessible community spaces
- distinct entrances to preschool and district administration offices
- sustainability inherent part of design
- majority of front green preserved
The project is currently in the Detailed Design phase where the design of the new school is being finalized. View current design diagrams.
- 21st century learning: upgraded science labs, improved classroom layouts, new Discourse Lab
- Collaborative hands-on learning: enlarged makerspaces, central Library/Media Center
- Award-winning arts program: updated Auditorium, larger art, band and chorus rooms, upgraded Black Box theater
- Health and well-being: larger gym with walking track, enhanced outdoor learning areas and courtyards, improved athletic fields
The project budget for the new school is $291M.
Construction Timeline & Student Impact
Construction estimates predict site work will start in February and phased construction will start in October with occupancy of the STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Mathematics) and Performing Arts wings in January 2022 and complete occupancy by September 2024. A year of additional site work will follow construction. Minimal disruption to students during construction is a high priority of the project.
Assuming the below timeline, all children in 4th grade or younger will attend a new, finished school and today’s Sophomores (class of 2022) will benefit from half of the new building before they graduate.
Also refer to our Construction Timeline and Grade Comparison chart to determine what parts of the building project will be in process or completed when your child is a student at AHS.