The future all-new construction building is the best combination of cost-effectiveness, educational design, and construction timeline. With minimal anticipated disruption to the school (modular classrooms will not be needed), the first building is estimated to open to students in February 2022.
- traditional exterior look and feel
- central spine with four distinct wings
- fully accessible community spaces
- distinct entrances to preschool and district administration offices
- sustainability inherent part of design
- majority of front green preserved
The project is currently in the Construction phase. View the latest design diagrams.
- 21st century learning: upgraded science labs, improved classroom layouts, new Discourse Lab
- Collaborative hands-on learning: enlarged makerspaces, central Library/Media Center
- Award-winning arts program: updated Auditorium, larger art, band and chorus rooms, upgraded Black Box theater
- Health and well-being: larger gym with walking track, enhanced outdoor learning areas and courtyards, improved athletic fields
Learn more about the educational features of the new building.
The project budget for the new school is $291M.
Construction Timeline & Student Impact
Site work started Spring 2020 and phased construction started Fall 2020. Occupancy of the STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Mathematics) and Performing Arts wings is expected February 2022 and complete occupancy by September 2024. A year of additional site work will follow construction. Minimal disruption to students during construction is a high priority of the project.
Assuming the below timeline, all children in 5th grade or younger will attend a new, finished school and today’s Juniors (class of 2022) will benefit from half of the new building before they graduate.
Also refer to our Construction Timeline and Grade Comparison chart to determine what parts of the building project will be in process or completed when your child is a student at AHS.