The future all-new construction design concept was selected because it is more cost effective than renovation options, minimizes disruption to the school, and has a faster construction timeline with the first building open to students in 2022.
Design concept features:
- traditional exterior look and feel
- central spine with four distinct wings
- fully accessible community spaces
- distinct entrances to preschool and district administration offices
- sustainability inherent part of design
- majority of front green preserved
- access to Minuteman bikeway
Current concept diagrams are preliminary and will be further developed during the Design Development phase. Assuming the passage of a town-wide debt exclusion vote to pay for the school on June 11, Design Development will start this summer.
- 21st century learning: upgraded science labs, improved classroom layouts, new Discourse Lab
- Collaborative hands-on learning: enlarged makerspaces, central Library/Media Center
- Award-winning arts program: updated 900 seat Auditorium, larger art, band and chorus rooms, upgraded Black Box theater
- Health and well-being: larger gym with walking track, enhanced outdoor learning areas and courtyards, improved athletic fields
Read more about what factored into the Building Committee’s design concept decision.
The proposed cost for the new school is $291M.
Construction Timeline & Student Impact
Preliminary construction estimates predict phased construction could start in Spring 2020 with occupancy of the STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Mathematics) and Performing Arts wings in January 2022 and complete occupancy by September 2024. Minimal disruption to students during construction is a high priority of the project. This schedule is subject to change during the next phase of the project when the Construction Manager has been hired.
Assuming the below timeline, all children in 3rd grade or younger will attend a new, finished school and today’s Freshmen (class of 2022) will benefit from half of the new building.