The future all-new construction design concept is the best combination of cost-effectiveness, educational design, and construction timeline. With minimal anticipated disruption to the school, the first building is estimated to open to students in 2022.
Design concept features:
- traditional exterior look and feel
- central spine with four distinct wings
- fully accessible community spaces
- distinct entrances to preschool and district administration offices
- sustainability inherent part of design
- majority of front green preserved
- access to Minuteman bikeway
Current concept diagrams are preliminary and will be further developed during the Design Development phase which began June 2019.
- 21st century learning: upgraded science labs, improved classroom layouts, new Discourse Lab
- Collaborative hands-on learning: enlarged makerspaces, central Library/Media Center
- Award-winning arts program: updated 900 seat Auditorium, larger art, band and chorus rooms, upgraded Black Box theater
- Health and well-being: larger gym with walking track, enhanced outdoor learning areas and courtyards, improved athletic fields
Read more about what factored into the Building Committee’s design concept decision.
The proposed cost for the new school is $291M.
Construction Timeline & Student Impact
Preliminary construction estimates predict phased construction could start in Spring 2020 with occupancy of the STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Mathematics) and Performing Arts wings in January 2022 and complete occupancy by September 2024. A year of site work will follow construction. Minimal disruption to students during construction is a high priority of the project. This schedule is subject to change when the Construction Manager has been hired (June 2019).
Assuming the below timeline, all children in 3rd grade or younger will attend a new, finished school and today’s Freshmen (class of 2022) will benefit from half of the new building.