The future all-new construction design is the best combination of cost-effectiveness, educational design, and construction timeline. With minimal anticipated disruption to the school (modular classrooms will not be needed), the first building is estimated to open to students in January 2022.
- traditional exterior look and feel
- central spine with four distinct wings
- fully accessible community spaces
- distinct entrances to preschool and district administration offices
- sustainability inherent part of design
- majority of front green preserved
- access to Minuteman bikeway
The project is currently in the Detailed Design phase where the design of the new school is being finalized. View current design diagrams.
- 21st century learning: upgraded science labs, improved classroom layouts, new Discourse Lab
- Collaborative hands-on learning: enlarged makerspaces, central Library/Media Center
- Award-winning arts program: updated 900 seat Auditorium, larger art, band and chorus rooms, upgraded Black Box theater
- Health and well-being: larger gym with walking track, enhanced outdoor learning areas and courtyards, improved athletic fields
The project budget for the new school is $291M.
Construction Timeline & Student Impact
Construction estimates predict pre-work will start in March 2020 and phased construction will start in October 2020 with occupancy of the STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Mathematics) and Performing Arts wings in January 2022 and complete occupancy by September 2024. A year of site work will follow construction. Minimal disruption to students during construction is a high priority of the project.
Assuming the below timeline, all children in 4th grade or younger will attend a new, finished school and today’s Sophomores (class of 2022) will benefit from half of the new building before they graduate.